Monday, November 20, 2006

89 Year Old WWII Buffalo Soldier Willie Jones Prepares to Retire Again

Photo By: Lui Kit Wong/The News Tribune
William Jones, better known as Mr. Jones, spent 22 years in the Army as a Buffalo Soldier before retiring as a master sergeant. After 54 years in Tacoma as the man who has everything, he’s ready to retire again.

I came across an article on Mr. Jones while doing some research on the Buffalo Soldiers. In the article a phone number was listed so I called it. What a pleasant surprise it was when I heard a voice answer, "Mr. Jones!" After I explained that my name was Jones too, and that I am a member of the 9th 10th (Horse) Cavalry Association in Los Angeles, I spent a very pleasant time talking with Mr. Jones and his daughter Lia.

Mr. Jones is looking forward to retiring, but he'll keep busy with his 9th and 10th (Horse) Cavalry Museum. He has one of the country's largest collection of out of print books about the Buffalo Soldiers.

Mr. Jones served in the 10th Cavalry at Camp Lockett and possible knew my father along with Trooper George Poston (deceased) and our current Chapter PresidentTrooper Eugene Lewis.

To find out more about Trooper Willie Jones click on this link:

No comments: